Friday, May 30, 2008

Tom Sach's Sanrio


Tom Sachs put a bunch of Sanrio characters at the Lever House in NYC. I can't tell you much about Sachs, but this was an interesting installation that presents the importance and "size" of Hello Kitty. I especially like his patchwork treatment of the characters and the fact that they're tearing water into a fountain is hilarious. I didn't know this would be there, and it was great to see just walking by. That's so NYC. You see shit done in a way that's meant to be seen if you're just walking by.



Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sachs has been doing Hello Kitty-based work in monochromatic white for a while now. I first saw his Hello Kitty stuff in the My Reality show at the Brooklyn Museum in 2001.

8:14 AM  
Blogger m.i.h. said...

Yeah, look sachs up he is one of the great american contemporary artist commenting on modern living and the role of corporations in society.He made some great mcDonalds stuff.
There is some documentation on tomio koyamas blog from when he is making one of the sculptures, and tomio collects him as well.

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

....but why is he mixing sanrios hello kitty with dick brunnas miffy??

2:48 PM  
Blogger gr said...

Actually, is it miffy or my melody. it's hard to tell since they're so raw. Yep. I know little about the guy, but I did read some on him.

11:15 PM  
Blogger gr said...

No way, that's damn Miffy. Just looked again. Anyways, I have no idea why he'd mix them.

11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the real question is "Why are they so sad that they're crying a perpetual stream of tears?"

4:26 AM  
Anonymous Lori-Anne said...

actuallyyy.. its my melody. trust me i know basically all the characters except some of the newer ones i forget their names sometimes!. but trust me. its her. shes unmistakeable!

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually...There's a Miffy one and a My Melody one. But it is weird that he mixed Miffy in with the rest of the Sanrio cast.

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home