Friday, October 31, 2008

If we were Bitch



The next question is:

If we were in Bitch Magazine's spot and put out an email, would we get the support? Will we get the great discussion with over 110 post responses and such? Can we accomplish raising the money in 3 days? Will our readers rally? I certainly hope so, but for some reason, I have my doubts.

Here's why

a) We get little feedback. We once had a vibrant and funny letters section. It usually gets cuts super short or it turns into a letter with a photo and a caption section. That's bold for a 1/2 page.

b) Maybe it's an Asian thing, to sit and be quiet and just read. I'd take that as a great compliment. Asian film festivals often have this problem. An audience of Asians who won't ask a question. If they read the mag and are so happy that they can't say a word, that's a great thing. I doubt that's true.

c) Recently we made a scavenger hunt in the letters section, but with no responses. The only ones were on the robot lounge, and it was more critical, than anything. It was jokey, but still, no response. Are our readers more apathetic than most? I see great letters sections in other magazines, even "bad" ones.

d) I often hear, "I'm behind a few issues." Or "I need to subscribe." I know it's a hassle, but those people don't get around to it.

e) Maybe because we have stores, do people think, "oh the magazine is fine." How do our stores affect the publishing industry? They don't.

f) I know my own blog actually has a bunch of readers daily. I appreciate it genuinely, but feedback even here is pretty sparse. It seems like the same 10 people make comments.

g) We have corporate ads? It's never enough. Even with folks like Scion who offer a lot of help, Thedirectorschairsite.com, Emotes, Uglydoll, and so on, it's still a grind, we don't have 30 pages in ads. The ratio for ad pages to content is usually fairly high, but ours isn't. We have great advertisers, but that's still limited. Did you know we rejected a cigarette company's advertisement? That's dollars "missing". It would suck if we have to regret that.

I'll end it at G for now. If we had to send something like this out. What do you think would happen? Maybe I'd get proved wrong.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger hana said...

Send it out. I think you'd be surprised.

I don't know if Asians are the non-vocal or less-vocal minority. I know we show up when it counts. My bf and I saw Dirty Hands when it premiered in LA. We didn't know much about David Choe, but it was because it was by an Asian filmmaker. Same for GR's showing of CJ7.

Some of us are socially awkward and painfully shy. My bf and I chit chatted w/ you at Sashie's art opening. Afterwards we were in the car, screaming, "Ohmygod, we finally got to talk to Eric Nakamura. Holy shit!!" We totally dorked out.

Anyways - your fans are here. We appreciate GR and we support when we can. In our own ways.

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Giant Robot is my favourite magazine. You aren't run by a label that is constantly using the publication to promote it's own artists and you offer a very wide range of subject matter and content in every issue.. its awesome!! Hopefully the magazine isn't in any big trouble, and this post is just hypothetical..

5:17 PM  
Blogger gr said...

Yes, right now, that's why I said, "If" in the title!

5:19 PM  
Blogger Alex Chiu said...

giant robot was one of the first publications that convinced me that I could become an artist. previously I thought I was doomed to be a fucking accountant or something. My friends still tell me I'm the only one they know from Irvine that actually makes money off of art. Everyone else went into bio or economics. I appreciate the influence that giant robot had on my life. you have my support.

7:53 PM  
Blogger St. Paco said...

I remember a few years back when Top Shelf was on the ropes right before the holiday season. They put out the call and the industry responded. I made it a point to place a $25 dollar order, which I think got me free shipping. Not that it mattered. I wanted Top Shelf to make it.

There wasn't even anything they were putting out at the time that I was following, but I bought two Tom Hart graphic novels.

The point for me was that there should be a place for Top Shelf products in the comic book industry. The company filled a gap for readers who wanted more from a comic book than superheroes (MARVEL/DC) or the supernatural (DC/VERTIGO).

The same certainly goes for Giant Robot. This magazine fills a gap for people who enjoy reading articles not only on Asian Pop culture, but multi-cultural overlap.

So I would certainly respond to the call. And I know at least 6 people who don't read GR as frequently as I who would send out a few dolla' bills to keep the magazine afloat.

Lastly, I guess should start writin' letters (since my chances of seeing 'em published are so very good --haha) and maybe re-up my subscription too.

St. Paco
Kung Fu Grip! Zine

10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and i've known of a few publications that would actually make up reader letters to fill the space or make them seem more important.

1:22 AM  
Blogger Enfu said...

GR has a loyal following for sure, but I would also question whether or not all GR supporters would react the same way as Bitch supporters.
My hope is its best to interpret GR`s success to the loyal readership base. I think as long as GR stays fresh and does not sell out for things they don`t stand for then GR will stay strong.

1:49 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

When things seem to be going fine, people tend to be less active, but faced with a special circumstance, realize a need to go the extra mile, so I have faith people will pull through when needed.

BTW, I've been a frequent reader of your blog since I met you at Comic Con. I'm a little shy, but just enjoy face to face dialogue a lot more. :]

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Giant Robot but I'm not sure what the demographic of GR readers is? I get the feeling that it's a bit older older (30+)? If you make a magazine that targets 35 year olds who don't want to grow up, I guess the point is you're going to end up with a bunch of slackers as readers.

2:44 AM  
Blogger julia said...

I grew up with Giant Robot in LA, but recently moved to Cleveland. I didn't expect to find anything like GR's shows or Asian art/music culture, because it just doesn't exist in this city. However, I have found lots of GR fans here, and that's super exciting! It's a connection, just like realizing you know the same person or that you've been to the same place. We all love GR, even if we don't say it enough =)

10:44 AM  
Blogger joetron2030 said...

You know you'll always have my support.

I've never been much of a "letters to the editor" type. Plus, I guess I usually have my say in the specific topic for the current issue on the boards.

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home