Thursday, June 21, 2007

no cash in the press

Aside from winning our softball game once again by 7 runs, and still hitting away...



I'll still make more comments about Punk Planet. It was mentioned in a comment, that's it's too bad we have to make a brand to survive... but we've all heard the words, "there's no money in publishing." Well? What the heck does that mean? It means, there's no money in it. So a brand developing out of a magazine is important. If it's not a brand, then it's some form of consulting, it's throwing parties, it's becoming a design firm, it's more than just a magazine, and as Paper magazine's art editor, Carlo McCormick once asked me, and a group of publishers, "What's your scam?" He did preface it with saying that for a small mag to make it, there's more than just publishing the magazine. Well, that's what it takes to make it, and we've all been warned.

But! Wouldn't it be nice if we could just make a magazine and not worry? Can it be done comfortably? I'm still not sure. It would be nice if GR was retail $10, and we were able to sell each copy direct to customers. Then we'd still need to get ads, but a plan like this would be nice. Business sense counts in this racket, and I think that's something you have to consider if you're going to be in publishing.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

alright Eric, I get it, I'll subscribe.

12:01 AM  
Blogger gr said...

No! you're supposed to donate to the foundation!

11:55 PM  
Blogger umeboshi onigiri said...

Even though I’m not familiar with
Punk Planet and the zine world, I could
see where this would be taken as a hard
hit for many people. Since it lasted so
long and it made as many issues as it did,
it tells me that it was a well liked and
well done zine. It must of been worked on
with heart and soul 24/7 and then some.

When it is compared to what could
happen to GR mag, it drives it home
even further. Ever since the situation
with the IPA was posted, it was just a
reminder of the fragility of these publications.
I never did identify Giant Robot as
a part of the zine world, it was always
something in the media world that I could culturally relate to. I guess everyone has
their own way of relating to GR. But I
just always remember growing up and
seeing Asian actors, television shows,
magazines, etc., disappear as fast as they
would come. Then I would be by the magazine
racks thinking, “Thank god Giant Robot is
still here, it’s the only cool Asian thing that actually lasts.” It really did give me great
comfort to know it exists, especially during the times when it wasn’t cool to be Asian.

As for the diversification of the business
and the magazine, I think it is great
and very smart. Any business is a risk
and if the owners can diversify, it is only
to their advantage. When I moved
to WLA, I really got to experience the
stores, gallery and restaurant and I
think they are very fun and interesting
additions to the whole GR empire.
I’m looking forward to what Is coming
up next.

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home