Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Bangals and Dave's.




THURSDAY at store opening David Horvath's Biennale Dave's on sale in all stores LA, SF and NYC and online 12 noon PST.
FRIDAY Le Merde Biennale Bangals on sale in all stores LA, SF and NYC and online 12 noon PST.

Keep checking back on the art pieces. It's most likely Monday for the Ledavhara originals.


I shouldn't have to explain any of this, but there's a strong segment who are very clueless as to how a museum show works, and for good reason, how often does anyone get to do anything at a museum? Not often. So let me try to explain.

I saw a someone addressing JANM not being able to sell the art because it's not for profit. I know there were some of you who were miffed that you couldn't buy the original pieces right out of the case. Sorry! Here's an explanation: imagine if you went to MOCA and saw a price tag on a Picasso, a Renoir, or a Basquiat? Can a museum use their advantage of getting public funds and enjoying the tax benefits of being a non-profit and using their gigantic walls to bring up the value of art in order to sell it and even a higher price? That would be unfair.

So, why is it that Giant Robot can sell it? 1) We're not a non-profit. 2) The art that's there displayed does not belong to the museum, it's not part of a permanent collection. 3) At the Takashi Murakami show at MOCA, some of the art was property of Blum and Poe. It's for sale. 4) Sign up list? What's the difference between a list and taking people's business cards? We did blast the information that art would be available at a later date. Join our list.

Can a museum have a gift shop? I don't know the ins and outs exactly, but the gift shop is also part of their business. Even if it's not for profit, museums can have gift shops. Even if it's non-profit, people who work there still need to be paid. The gift shop had Dave's and Bangals for sale.

That said, I do hope you check out the show, etc. It was a lot of work-more than just producing a new toy. This is about pushing the medium and such in a much higher institution than a store website or even a gallery. This show is up three months and will do a lot for vinyl figures. If I were the typical business person, this would only be a toy sale and only online! This is much more than that and it's something that Giant Robot helped put together. So let's be calm and enjoy what's there. Ask questions if you have them.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

definitely going to stop by JANM when i get back to pasadena this sunday... i was sad that i could not attend the event.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

well put sir!

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. How condescending. These are toys. Not art.

7:23 PM  
Blogger gr said...

Lastly, no sad faces here, but I saw a comment that I was too condescending in my art show post. I swear I wrote it sort of laughing, and not with malice. But for those who were offended, I apologize. I did mention, how would people know? since it's something different - a museum! Perhaps my tone could be better, but at the same time, I was responding to very condescending statements made against how this show was run. Did anyone make comments condemning those comments? And what about the rude comments we've absorbed by the same folks for a long period of time? Let's be fair here.

I'm first to self criticize, but did I ever think I needed to blog such a post explaining the difference between a public museum and a gallery or website? That's a negative. But now that I did, I think a lot of you have some understanding. It wasn't all a waste. I still enjoy reading posts and comments about the Biennale show. It's still amazing how many didn't see the ART INQUIRIES table which was 15 feet from the door of the portion which contained the LEDAVHARA portion. It was clearly marked and of course, just sign up on our email so you can be informed. I can't find all of you, but you can easily meet us halfway.

12:45 PM  
Blogger gr said...

Also: the handmade, handpainting, and handcasted... It's considered art. Sorry. Toys are the production pieces. Actually ask the artists, do you think they'd call their handmade items, toys?

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Art v. Toy: It reminds me of the discussion about comics. Would you call Adrian Tomine or Chris Ware's works comics? Sure they are on one level maybe, but...

My personal biggest unhappiness with the discussion is that it is going on at all. GR and JANM put on a KILLER night and a KILLER show. I wish some people would be more focused on all of the incredible art or even discussing what works they didn't like instead of other things. Eric and the artists and GR put together an amazing collection of a lot of very talented people that you will be hard pressed to find in one place. I know I'm going back because I couldn't take it all in in one night. Go all things GR!

[Don't get me wrong though. I'm not crazy, cause you can bet I'm gonna be angling for some of those art pieces. You all are forewarned!]

3:10 PM  
Blogger DAVIDUGLY said...

I didn't have any toys in the show. Our Dave figures are not toys at all. They are adult collectibles. We did have some adult collectible versions of Dave in the gift shop. The objects under the glass case are our art works and should never be mistaken for a toy for children. The USA govt ended the toy vs art debate earlier this year.
Please do not give any of the objects you find at the Janm to children or to anyone who might mistake them for something with play value.

Congratulaions to Eric and everyone at GR, and most of all the wonderful artists who helped make this event what it was. Sun-Min and I were honored to be a part of it and it was a real pleasure to work with Dehara and Le Merde.

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand why they could not be sold that night at the musuem. There were 1500 people there and it would have been a nightmare. At the same time you had people sign up on a list so that they could have the first chance to buy the art in the show. However now you are going back on that and saying it would just be more fair to put the stuff on your website. I don't see how this is fair at all. If some people didn't know about the sign up list then tough. It was at a table with a Giant Robot Banner on it and Giant Robot employees working at it all anyone like myself and those on the list had to do was ask about purchasing the art.

Some of us traveled hundreds of miles for this show and while it was a fantastic event and a great experiance the way the sales portion has been handled has been terrible. You need to be clear up front about how YOU Giant Robot is going to handle the sale of the art and that was not communicated well at all. I have nothing but respect for Giant Robot and the artists that were a part of this show however like you said there is a difference in the type of show and how things needed to be handled. They just needed to be handled better since it was always Giant Robots intention to offer the pieces for sale not just display.

11:25 AM  
Blogger gr said...

It's clear, art is for sale at 12 noon today. That's very clear.

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home