Thursday, September 06, 2007

they do or they don't

Jimmy! said...

Sooo... I saw the flyer for Geisai SF. That looks like a big night but I think I'll stay in NY for the group show. Also, looks like you guys are building a relationship w/ Staple. Very nice... oh, I guess I'll comment on your sandwich... it's uhmm.. very nice and delicious looking, there.


Jimmy, so kind of you to write about all of our NY shows in crazy weird detail. Anyways, I guess reading your entry above, which is probably just a quick comment, but "looks like you guys are building a relationship..."

No, we don't do this. We just do shit. Relationships, that's for scenesters who want something. I don't go to sneaker parties so I can get free shit, or get a free shirt, or make an extra dollar by shaking a hand. I don't even want to make a sneaker. I don't even want to make a toy right now. I don't even want to go outside. So yeah, "building" a relationship, as if I was making a LEGO® Millenium Falcon? No.

I also don't want a thing from jeffstaple. I do like his designs, his aesthetics, Reed Space is one of the few stores where I actually buy something... But I don't want anything. He's a cool guy and I leave it at that. When we cross paths, it's a good thing, it's not loaded with "what can I get from him, or vice versa." That's the wrong mentality for me.

Add more here:

I think in the end, a lot of the fellas who do this collab stuff are all friends anyway. So I think I took Jimmy's comment to sound like I'm trying to get in this group of people. But no. GR is just light years away in a different direction, probably straight down. That's why I'm a guy plowing away, sometimes alone. If we collab, a lot of times it's with people you've never heard of. Maybe I haven't figured out how to do it yet, or something, but right now, that's not what I'm trying to do, at least with the "streetwear" CEOs, who seemed to have figured out the "X" thing quite well. But if you don't build relationships, how else will you find a girlfriend?, so it's not evil, and I guess, yes, it actually is like building a Millenium Falcon. Also keep note, Jimmy's blog title, AsupremeNewYorkthing. It's already a multilayered satire, at least I think it is. He does call em like he sees em.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Jesse Chorng said...

Eric you are too legit. I'm not anywhere close to being in the same position you are where I could collaborate with the minds behind shoes or vinyl toys or whatnot. But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the realness. The spirit of working together within a culture is healthy and provides growth, but what are the real motives behind many of today's "creative" minds and whats the purpose of all these collabs X collabs? The difficulty of entry nowadays is just too easy. Some people are just trying to make a buck, and what's worse is that the people sometimes can't tell the difference.

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whatever X Whatever is where the moneys at right now. Tomorrow I can have a ASUPREMENEWYORKTHING X MY TOILET BOWL and for some reason people would buy it. Whatever Eric, jeez, I make a goddamned comment kinda thinking, "Hey, it's pretty cool that you know, West Coast and East Coast people are meeting and talking and maybe one day will have lunch together or something and then maybe we can finally settle that Tupac Biggie thing" and you're all, "Hey, I'm not just about money, I'm not like that, I'm true man, I'm all about the culture and the spirit and essence and belief and Punk Planet and something something"

hehehe, but you do make a good point and I can see why you responded the way you did. Your GR brand is very social and the whole "streetwear" scene is very commercial, VERY commercial. I understand MOST of those Whatever X Whatever is just out for the buck, very short-term, very short-sighted, very hit-and-run and I understand, I KNOW, you don't want yourself or GR to be perceived as anything remotely like that.

Anyway, thanks for the shout-out, I was about to delete my blog yesterday because I work so much now and I don't have enough time to read or write or go out or anything. I still go to the GR shows cause the GRNY staff is great. All those other "streetwear" motherhomos are too cool for school and a lot of them are such dickwads so I've stopped going to their stupid parties/events. I think I covered almost everything Austin English wanted me to say. haha, I'm just kidding.

You've met Austin, right? He's a funny guy, a funny guy who looks like he needs a goddamned shower.

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, yeah, by the way, originally the idea behind the blog was just me making fun of idiots who waste their money on T-shirts and ridiculous sneakers, it was supposed to be like, Supreme and aNYthing put together to spell ASUPREMENEWYORKTHING, cause Aron, the guy who owns aNYthing used to work for Supreme, but then I decided I was going to just write stuff about finance but with a lot of slang, like I was doling out Personal finance advice to gangsta-ass-mofos, but then I was like, "wow, that's a lot of effort for something stupid" so now I just write whatever crap I feel like. I keep it as anonymous as possible but I wanted to see what would happen if I told some people so I let GRNY know who I was and they were really nice about it. Too much information? Whatever, I don't care.

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home