Monday, May 21, 2007

George's Hardware

I needed air in my bicycle tires, so I thought I'd stop by George's Hardware which is next door to gr/eats. I rode into the back mechanics shop, and was amazed. Look at this place. It's filled with parts, broken edgers, mowers, grease, working mechanics, tools, and a floor that's gritty.

There's four dudes working most of the time, they're mostly Latino except for Jake, who's on our softball team.

How old is this wood table? Look how far and deep it's worn down.

That's Jake, and that's my bike.

When he couldn't fix my mini bike, my dad would bring it here to get fixed. That was probably 25 years ago and the place looked the same as it does now. It's just a new crew of people doing the same thing, fixing mowers for gardeners. I once saw them working on a go-kart and then test riding it on the streets. One cool thing about George's Hardware, the dudes working always have a smile on their face, in six years we've been around, I have yet to see one look upset.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger umeboshi onigiri said...

It's really great to have a place where you
can go to have things fixed and feel like you
can trust the people. I found Mar Vista
Auto Service for my car on Venice. The
inside looks just like George's, I don't see
how they can keep track of everything.
But they always seem to keep
busy and they do things for free
sometimes too.

4:10 PM  
Blogger gr said...

That would be Mike Sassa!

4:12 PM  
Blogger umeboshi onigiri said...

Yeah!, Mike's great, he could come across
a little gruff at first, but then he jokes with
you with his dry sense of humor, and you
know he's a cool guy. The reason I found
him is because I used to live in the
apartments behind them. They used
to bring my car around and park it
in my carport when it was done or they would
service my car from my carport. I didn't have
to do anything.

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home