Sunday, May 13, 2007

Daikoku Ramen Little Tokyo

The cloudy pork brothed ramen is taking root in Southern California. In Little Tokyo is yet another place doing it, called Daikoku. The soup broth isn't as strong as a place like Santouka, and has some pork pieces, green onion, a marinated egg, and slices of bamboo shoots. For a few extra dollars, you can get a side dish like fried rice, oyako don, tuna bowl, etc. The ramen portion is large, and the noodle are decent, and there's a wait to get in. The gritty: the bowl stuff isn't exciting, and the ramen is decent, but isn't up to the level of Santouka. You get more, but it's just under the level. But if you want tonkotsu style ramen, and you don't want it so strong, then this is a good place for you, but it's definitely watered down.



Daikoku Ramen
327 E. 1st St., Los Angeles, CA 90012
(213) 626-1680
11:00am to 1:00am (Mon-Sat)
12:00pm to 10:00pm(Sun)

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you been to Eboshi in Lomita ? What do you think about their ramen ?

11:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another tonkotsu style place is Shin Sen Gumi in Gardena, Fountain Valley, and Costa Mesa I believe. They specifically have Hakata style ramen which I love. The soup is smoother than Daikokuya but not as good as Santouka's tonkotsu-shio blend.

The thing I love about the place is the noodles though. They use a finer and straighter noodle that is particular to their style and you can order it in different hardnesses (yay for hard!) and for 99 cents you can get a refill of noodles for your broth.

They also offer spam musubi, cute little garlicy gyoza, and great takana fried rice.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Mondo88 said...

Dear Eric, today I bought a Yeti Icon Track Jacket for $88.44. I love the jacket, it looks great. But once I got home, my girlfriend and I decided to go on the gama-go.com site to see what other jackets they had to offer, and I found that the jacket I just purchased is sold on their site for $40 plus free shipping. After reading this, I promptly hopped in the car an hour after I made the purchase, and went to your store for some sort of refund. As of this point, I'd like to keep the jacket plus some store credit to make up the difference. Seeing as how I am an avid Giant Robot customer, I would think you would respect my loyalty... (I even have something coming in the mail from your store as of now.) I love you guys' business. Thanks a lot for your understanding.. hopefully.

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home